I was really fascinated with this knife set’s handle. It had a dimpled handle on all of the knives. The knife set that I’m talking about is the Global 7-piece Ikasu Knife Block Set. After reading the knife sets reviews, I decided to purchase this kitchen knife set is not because I needed a new one, it’s because I was getting bored with my Mercer Culinary knife set. Have I mentioned that the Global Knife set also comes with an Acrylic Knife Block that has Bamboo borders.
The Knives That You Will Get
This set will give a 3-inch Paring Knife, a 4.5-inch Utility Knife, a 5-inch Utility Knife, a 5.5-inch Nakiri Knife, an 8-inch Chef’s Knife and an 8-inch Bread Knife. As this was my first time using a Japanese Knife Set, I was curious to know the usage of a Nakiri knife which I later found out was excellent at slicing vegetables.
The Feel of The Knives
First, I would like to talk about the unique handle. The handle gives a great grip even when your hands are wet. The handles are filled with sand and also steel that has been hardened. The blade is made out of their special CROMOVA 18 high-carbon stainless steel which makes it much more durable. These features make these knives much more balanced.
Oddly enough, they stay sharper longer and they’re much easier to sharpen than my previous knife set. Even though it looks like a toy knife, it is super sharp so don’t mess around with these knives. I know it says it’s resistant to corrosion but I take the extra step to always dry my knives before storing them away.
If you like to experiment with kitchen knives or you happen to like using Japanese knives, I recommend you to try the Global 7-Piece Ikasu Knife Block Set. As a person who had only used German Knives, this knife set gave me a good impression towards Japanese Knives.
Related post: How to choose a chef’s knife
How to Buy Your Kitchen Knives Set
All kitchen knives are not the same, in most cases, fashionable stores can be found vending poor value knives at a much high price, whereas you can find better and affordable quality and less popular type. Most people do not know how to buy kitchen knives suitable for their needs. Kitchen blades is an investment that is used every day in cooking and for this reason, it is crucial to consider factors such as quality, durability, excellent handling and strength.
Prior to going out to buy the best kitchen knives, think about the kind of knife suitable for you and your kitchen. Knives are accessible in a wide range of sizes and shapes which can meet several needs depending on your style and way of cooking.
Guide Tips When Buying Kitchen Knives
1. Hold every knife in your hand. The comfortable handle should fit right in the hand.
2. Check where steel is located on the knife and how much of it. The knife should be free from any signs of welding especially the hilt. Weak knives tend to break.
3. Weight. Light choppers are appropriate for speed while thick ones require more strength to chop. Thick blades are excellent with harder foods such as ginger, therefore, purchase according to your needs.
4. Balance. It is essential to check balance of the knife; quality knives have right balance on both handle and blade. Place a finger on the grip at the blade end; hold the knife with the cutting edge facing downward. It should be balanced on both ends.
5. The hilt of the knife. The hilt should be joint well, stable and easy to clean. Any noticeable gap on the joint will cause weakness and trap food particles and cause spread of bacteria.
6. Handle material. The type of equipment used to make the knife should be considered. The handle is mostly made of plastic, wood, hardened resins and other materials.Knives with bone handles old fashioned and break after some time and can cause injury, therefore not a better choice.
7. Blade. The kind of material the blade is made from is a crucial factor to consider. The best blade should made from ceramic since it is sharpened; it can also hold the sharpness for long and doesn’t rust.
8. Chopping edge width. The edge should be smooth without any sign of spitting.
9. Focus on value and not brand. Any knife of high quality can be of excellent service.
For good quality set of knives, remember to invest in steel and sharpening stone, this will maintain a real cutting edge.
Read also: How to select a quality kitchen knives